St Mary's Scholars
St Mary's Scholars is the adult chamber choir of St Mary's.
Rehearsals take place on Tuesday evenings from 7.30pm to 9.30pm.
We have a strong core group of singers, but always welcome new singers, particularly tenors and basses. Good sight-reading ability is essential, as is a commitment to all the singing dates and specific rehearsals leading up to them.
The Scholars' principal role is to deputise for the robed choirs of St Mary's Church when the latter are on holiday, singing for Sunday services once every half-term as well as on Low Sunday and at least once during Summer holiday months.
The Scholars additionally give concerts in St Mary's and tour at least once every year; recent tours have taken us to Chester, Chichester, Guildford and Hereford Cathedrals, as well as Beverley Minster and Bath Abbey. The choir is a close-knit group, performing to a high standard whilst enjoying a good social side.
Our repertoire is broad and varied. In recent years, in addition to plainchant and core Anglican service music, it has included works by:
- Hildegard von Bingen
The choir has also given first performances of works by James Ludwig, Thomas Muir and Toby Wheatley.
Forthcoming appearances are as follows:
- Sunday 30th October 2016 (services, including Requiem for All Souls, in St Mary's)
- Thursday 24th November 2016 (Warwick Victorian Evening carol service in St Mary's)
- Tuesday 20th December (Carols for Choir and Audience in St Mary's)
- Sunday 8th January 2017 (services in St Mary's)
- Sunday 26th February 2017 (service in St Mary's)
- Tuesday 11th April and Wednesday 12th April 2017 (Compline services for Holy Week in St Mary's)
If you would like further information about St Mary's Scholars or would like to audition, please contact the Assistant Director of Music.